Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by BroomWagon Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:54 am
After slipping all over the place yesterday :( on a very worn rear Vittoria Open Corsa CX, I think I'd better get a new tyre before I break my neck. My first reaction is to get the same, I've used them for years, think they're fast, grippy (when not worn out), puncture proof and pop off and on very easily without tyre levers (which you can't beat when it's raining, cold and dark), though they do wear quicky. But having not used anything else now for some time, perhaps there's something out there that's better?

Does anyone recommend an excellent folding tyre for winter use?

by Rob Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:53 pm
You will get as many answers to this as there are members of this forum!

My tips are Ultragatorskins and Blizzard Pros (both a lot cheaper than CXs!)

by BroomWagon Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Cheers Rob, I've heard ultragatorskins recommended before. Don't come as folding tyres though and I'm rather keen on folders. Still, I think I might give them a try as the Vittorias are a bit costly especially when you take into account the wear rate. I'll stick to Vittorias on the summer bike though.

I've seen a set of two gatorskins and two tubes for £36.99 on Wiggle or £15.99 per tyre, seems pretty good unless you know a cheaper supplier?

by BroomWagon Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:00 pm
Just checked Ribble cycles and they do a folding version for £14.75. Looks like the ones for me.

by stevesavage Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:10 pm
If you want to stick with Vittorias you could try the Vittoria Open Pave Evo-CG. I used them on the Flanders cyclosportive and the pros use them at Paris Roubaix (in tub form). They are folders 700*24.

Alternatively I've always liked Michelin Pros in their various incarnations. There is a Pro Grip version which claims to be 60% grippier in the wet than the Pro Race, which I've always found to be pretty grippy anyway.

Unfortunately neither option is particularly cheap (£19 for Pro Grip/ £21 Vitts). There must be a trade off between softer rubber/more grip and higher wear rate. Personally I've always thought it best not to compromise on tyres as afterall they are the only things connecting you to the road.

by BroomWagon Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:18 pm
I used Michelin Pros some years ago, not the folding type and I'm sure they're much better now but they were an absolute pig to get off. Worst of any tyre I'd used and it rather put me of Michelins for life. That said, they did seem to be about the fastest tyre I've ever used.

by paulM Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:37 am
BroomWagon - I don't quite understand your need for folding tyres in winter but suspect you prefer them for getting on & off? You also state having problems getting Michelin Pros off in the past - what you need is the "flat" yellow Michelin tyrelevers. These have a hook on the end which fits under the bead of the tyre and means they can be used for levering the trye on aswell as off without catching the tube.
My personal Winter tyre preference is Swalbe Blizzards - they are non folding but very easy to get on & off, grippy, fast, kevlar belted, they last well. They cut up a bit but not much penetrates the belt. Oldham Cycles are doing them for £15 per pair with Vittoria tubes.
I also swear by Michelin tyres & use Pros myself - for racing! - they used to do kevlar winter tyres which were too good so they had to stop making them! I race on Michelin Pros but they're a bit light-weight for winter use imo. However some of the mail order firms like Ribble are doing them for about £15 now. I carry a spare one folded up training even in Summer either in the downtube bottle cage or under the saddle. Saves a lot of messing about if a tyre blows.

by PhilBixby Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:04 am
I'd used Michelin Pro Race ever since taking up this lark - they give a lovely smooth ride and I've never had particular problems with the p-word. However, they're really slippy in cold, damp winter weather. I've been using Conti Attack/Force this year and they feel more sticky in the wet, and are equally comfy. I've got Ultra Gatorskins on my hack bike and they give a harsher ride, but are probably more robust. For a few quid either way I'd get the stickiest, best tyres you can - what's a fiver extra for winter grip?

by MarkA Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:05 am
I used gatorskins (non folding) all last year
Only one puncture and that was when they were pretty worn
Invested in some more for this winter but think i might have slightly over done it - i went for 28mm on the front and 25mm on the rear (both non folding)
They are a tight fit but i would rather have it that way when bouncing around on descents
Can second Pauls recommendation of the wide tyre levers - in fact i think it was him who put me onto them.
Sticking to Contis there is also the 4 seasons but that is more a race tyre for early events i think.
After my experience writing off a new racing tyre on the way home from the hill climb i am sticking to cheap and cheerful rigid tyres with lots of kevlar for the time being - partic when navigating Thixendale

by BroomWagon Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:26 pm
Yep, a few different recommendations there, thanks lads, but I think I'm going to go for the gatorskins as a few of you have said they are good and I'd seen glowing reports on another forum too, though 28mm might me a bit wide for me.

I do like folders, the Vittorias have never needed levers to get on or off and they just seem better quality (imho) and folding tyres fit nicely in my box of bike bits.

by Dave B Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:44 pm
As Rob said, this is one of those threads that generates umpteen follow-ups, as we all have our favourites. From personal experience, Vredestein Ricorsos (basically Fortezza Tri-Comps but non-folding) are a good training tyre for all weathers and retail for about 10-12 quid a go. Good grip and puncture resistance, but they are on the narrow side as they usually come in 23mm (though I've a hunch that 25mm may be available too).
Re. Michelin folding road (in contrast, the 'cross ones are a doddle) tyres - these always seem to me to be a right pig to fit, so will bear Paul's tip about the special tyre levers in mind.

With best wishes for the festive season,
Dave B.

by Arthur Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:45 am
Tri-comps are indeed good tyres. I've also got a soft spot for all of the Schwabe range at the moment.

Michellin Pro Races are very good tyres indeed, but an absolute pig to fit to Campag rims. They fit as normal on my open pros but it requires a lot of time and swearing to fit a new pair to my campag wheels. Because of this (and the fact that I have no upper body strength) I've moved to Schwabe Stelvios for racing/summer use.

by paulM Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:04 am
Yes Arthur Michelin Pros are a pig to fit on campag rims. I had a real problem when I first bought a pair of Nucleon wheels. I couldn't find tyre levers strong enough to lever the tyres off or thin enough to fit between the bead of the tyre and the rim. I asked Tony Boswell who sold me a set of metal levers - it was like going back to using a couple of old spoons! and still didn't work cos they were still too thick to fit under the bead and I realised there was also a chance they would damage the rims. Thought I was going to have to stick to the bus routes out training until I started using michelin levers. As I said earlier the thin hook fits easily under the beading when taking off and can also be used for levering the tyre back on without risking catching the tube. I'm not on commission - honest.
I really must get out more - I can't believe I'm discussing tyre levers on a forum - I'll be writing letters to the press next!

by PhilBixby Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:52 am
:shock: