Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:55 am
"Ah.....Rob, changed your mind about inviting me along to the Sunday club run eh....must be scared of me riding everyone off my back wheel Laughing

Seriously, though, I would love to come along on Sunday and the Saturday ride would be ideal training for what I'd like to do in 2007, but the fact is my level of fitness at the moment (I've plenty of excuses for it, but you've probably heard them all before) would mean I'd probably be off the back before you even got over the ring road.

Still I'm hoping to get on bike a little more seriously from now on, so hopefully I will have club level fitness(ish) by February, for my annual club run or as some know it, Clifton Reliability"

The above post on another thread was in response to me imploring BW to get out on more clubruns (and then deleting it after reflection as I was starting to sound like a worn out record). The response above though means I just have to post a response as it leaves the impression to all that read it that the clubrun is just for the super-fit. BW was, after all, riding off the front of the Clifton group in the long Audaxes just a couple of months ago.

So, let me try again to dispel some myths:

Club runs are about compromise.

You may not go exactly where you want, by the route you would normally choose, be out for you optimum length of time, stop at the cafe you would normally frequent or ride at your normal speed. You may not be the strongest rider in the group or even be the last to crest the climb (horror of horrors).

But you will be paid back in spadefuls for that compromise. You will go to new places, via new routes, meet new friends, get to know old friends better, get advice/encouragement/support, get further/faster for the same energy, get enthusiastic, want to ride more.

Now, somebody is going to be the weakest in the group (shock, horror), but here's the thing, as long as they're trying, as long as they're committed to keep coming out then everybody will give them as much encouragement and support as they need! Furthermore, I cannot remember the last time anybody was knowingly left behind on a clubrun (Sat or Sun).

We had a fantastic ride yesterday. Our 73 year old president joined us after the cafe to take the total number to 16. The views and the light were breathtaking. We had a steady morning, sticking together on the flat, regrouping atop the biggest hills. Then after the freewheel competition a Snaregate I took a group of 9 off for some extra/brisker miles while the rest returned to York (63 miles, back at 2-30). By the time we got back at 3-45 we'd got 85 miles on the clock. Memorable day, all tired but happy. 8)
by BroomWagon Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:33 pm
Rob, I don't think my Jokey, self deprecating posting would deter too many who were thinking of attending their first club run. Still 63 miles does require a level of fitness and after an enforced absence from cycling since the end of August, I do not have that level of fitness, hence my comment about getting dropped by the ring road. I know I could come along and everyone would go slow for me on the flat bits, wait at the top of hills getting cold whilst I laboured up and then push me home when I threw in the towel with 20 miles to go, but I've been there and done that, and one has one's pride.

I think we'd both agree that the club run is the heart of a good cycling club. I think it is largely through your (and others) efforts that the club has the large and active membership it has today. And having an inclusive club run is a big part of that. A club run can be a great day out and I miss the times (long ago it seems) when it was rare that that I wouldn't be at the square Sunday morning at 9am. But my personal circumstances are considerably different now and I have to take opportunities to go cycling when I can and that rarely coincides with the club run.

So in lieu of the club run, I use this forum the keep in touch and I hope that because I'm rarely out on a Sunday I won't get too many " well if you bothered turned up to a club run......." to my postings :wink:

by PhilBixby Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:55 pm
Excellent clubrun yesterday, Rob. I don't often get the opportunity to give over most of a Sunday to cycling but when I do, it's always worth it. The extra bit on the tail end of the ride was hard work, but it wasn't compulsory.. ..it was a ride that would've suited pretty much anyone. If you push hard up the hills you expect to wait at the top - it's absolutely no hardship as the views are always stunning!

Broomwagon - just to say that if your chances to ride aren't nice simple weekend slots, then there are a few of us who due to self-employment or similar are out and about during the week. If there's anyone up for weekday rides, just post suggestions on the board. There's no substitute for riding in a big bunch of friends, but there are ways of getting a bit of company, encouragement and contact with the club beyond the "virtual world"!

by BroomWagon Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:56 pm
Cheer Phil, but I can't do mid week either, suppose I'm a bit of a dead loss.

Still I'm hoping to do a few club runs Feb, March 07 because if all goes to plan I'm wanting to ride coast to coast in April. A few club runs would be ideal training especially if Rob's planning any 100+ mile ones about then. Although it is dependant on my good lady being quite happy left alone with the kids all day.