Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Willy H Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:19 pm
Anyone interested in riding? I think I'll be in for the 160K job.
by BroomWagon Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:10 pm
Already entered it Willy, though I don't know what was going through my mind because I've entered the 215Km one.

by Rob Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:37 am
Certainly riding and its on the Calendar. Was planning to try to persuade all to ride the middle distance one (180k) together as we did last year - makes it more sociable. But I understand that this may not suit everyone.

R

by Arthur Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:03 am
It's already in my diary. This year, I hope to finish as well

I don't mind doing either the 180 or the 200, though for the latter I'd probably want to keep it moving to get round in a sane time.

by Rob Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:25 pm
The advantage of the 180 over the 140 is thgat you get Dent Dale, Shaking Moss and Fleets Moss in addition. The problem with the 200+ route is that you have that intermidable stretch up to Reeth from Middleham to contend with on top.

So, strong plea to all to sign up for the 180. Its usually fairly easy to swap on the day anyway.

Arthur, if you don't ride with the group you'll get lost again and won't finish. :wink:

by Arthur Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:32 pm
Hey, I never get lost! erm......

by BroomWagon Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:20 am
Hey what's another 35Km to men (and women) of your calibre - go for the 200....why should I be the only one to suffer?

by Rob Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:38 am
Only a 35k step up from the 180, but a far more significant 75k (or 50%) from the shorter one which some (eg Willy) would expect to be riding. The middle ground is a compromise.

by Arthur Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:58 am
I'll do the 200k with you if you want.

by Rob Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:47 am
:shock:

by NickScull Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:27 pm
Helen is up for either the middle or long ride.
Subject to babysitting I hope to be there, and I would rather do the middle one.
Anyone wanting to make a real day of it can ride out from York nice and early. Rumour has it that that has been done before (by riders of much better calibre than me of course).

by Arthur Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:24 pm
Didn't those that rode out do the 140km though? Makes for plenty of miles on the day mind. I'll be angling for a lift out myself :shock:

by BroomWagon Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:41 pm
I know its a bit antisocial but I might still do the 200km for nothing more than its worth 4 and 1/2 Audax altitude points and I quite fancied going for the Audax altitude award this year. Though if the day dawns and it's archetypal Dales weather even though it is June I might do the middle ride.

Arthur I don't know I will be fast enough for you, I should think you'll be wanting to get round pretty sharpish. Depending how I'm going when we get to June, but I might do the ride on my compact and I expect I will use that 34x23 :oops:

by Arthur Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:12 pm
34x23 isn't really low enough (at least for me). I'll be on 34x25.

That said, I did once do the 200k on 39x26 ( ~ 34x23 ) but I was overgeared, had to walk Park Rash and would have beeen quicker with a lower gear.

by MarkA Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:26 pm
Count me in for this too - it was one of the first events which went into the calendar.

I guess we will coordinate entries / lifts a bit closer to the date.

Just my opinion but i found this ride harder than say the Dee to Sea Audax event which is > altitude (?) and certainly less distance and gets 4 AAA.

I think it is the fact it is made up of major passes rather than a barrage of smaller ups and downs. Also it was cold and wet first thing last year!

Park Rash is seriously steep and is second last climb of the day - I was reasonably ok on 30 * 25 but now have a 27 and will be taking (and probably using) it.