Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by steph Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:30 pm
I had meant start the ride at 9:30 or 10 but no worries, later is good.

If we start riding at 11, we'll be finishing riding about 2. I went up there the other day and clocked a record breaking slowest time (of anyone, ever, riding 15 miles) of 4 hours. I reckon it would take us about 3 since I know now how to to cut off a really depressing mile plus walk in the mud. The rest of it looked great, they've done so much work to it.

I'm pretty sure Mike is coming which means I have a lift and we can take one more. Rob? Want a lift from the roundabout near you?

We won't be able to stop at a cafe during the ride so stuff some sarnies in your pocket, but apres ride I believe I'm stopping at the fish and chip shop in Thornton-le-Dale for large cod and chips, minted mushy peas, apple pie and custard. Not that this is the focus of the day or anything.

I've invited another friend who's fantastic at photography and probably wouldn't mind snapping some shots. If anyones got a camera that they don't mind getting muddy bring it along.

With such a big group we could split into two for anyone who wanted to go off and loop a 6k black run bit.

by Rob Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:40 pm
A lift would be great, thanks.
And mushy peas with mint sauce has just moved to the top of my list also! I never thought we could get so much culture into a day's cycling 8)

by Arthur Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:38 pm
Rather than fish and chips, why not the cafe in Dalby after the ride? More choice of stuff. Otherwise, I think we have a plan!

by Rob Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:21 pm
Arthur wrote:Rather than fish and chips, why not the cafe in Dalby after the ride? More choice of stuff. Otherwise, I think we have a plan!

Come on Arthur, this is a discussion not a negotiation. If you have such firm views why don't you set up the next one. In the meantime why don't you show Steph some support?

by Arthur Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:24 pm
What's the difference between a discussion and a negotiation anyway? I was just stating a preference, but will go with whatever people want to do. Doesn't matter that much!

by Rob Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:14 pm
8)

by steph Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:10 pm
Oh I daresay I could manage a little warm up in the cafe before moving onto the hard stuff in Thornton-le-Dale :wink:

Anyway, moving on to the actual riding, someone, Mark maybe? was wondering about local mtb skills courses.

The bike shop in Dalby runs them and the next courses are

Basic 25th Nov
Intermediate 9th Dec
Advanced 6th Jan

Womens only courses
2nd Dec
13th Jan
24th Feb

Cost is £60 per day and some info (dates and prices are out of date) are found here

http://www.purplemountain.co.uk/cgi-bin ... l?record=7

by MarkA Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:50 pm
Thanks Steph
Had a browse around that purplemountain thing - sounds like you are going to have an excellent day
MA
by Rob@Nestle Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:20 am
Claire G notified me of this ride, count me in if it goes ahead.
Just let me know what time you're meeting up.

Rob

by steph Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:37 pm
Hi Rob,

Great stuff, we'll be meeting in the car park in the forest at 11AM.

by Arthur Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:58 pm
Carl from my work + a friend are also going to come now. They'll be making their own way out and meeting us there at 11am by the cafe.

by steph Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:36 am
So, for this *rain or shine* ride - drag yourselves away from the cafe/bike shop by 11 to meet in the car park. If you're late then just come after us on the red run. We may divert after the playground though.

Rob, we'll pick you up at 10 from the bench by the roundabout?

If anyone is stuck for a lift then say so. See you there.

Steph

by Arthur Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:42 am
I'll be there. Steve and myself are coming with Nick. Carl from work is making his own way there.

by Rob Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:49 am
I'll be at the bench at 10. Looking forward to it.
Now, better fettle that bike....