Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by fatsprinter Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:07 am
Just a note about the ride through Rufforth on the chain gang. At each end of Rufforth there are some ridiculous bits of traffic calming/road furniture which force the traffic into one lane. Obviously this is dangerous and needs treating with care. Depending on which end of the village and which way you are going, we would be forced out into oncoming traffic.

Can I ask all chaingangers to be aware and TAKE CARE of each other. Remember, if you are at the front and can nip round, the rider on your wheel will just follow your wheel, so try to think of yourself as a snake and look after your tail (your mates). It is after all just training and while I like to win more than my fair share of sprints, I want everyone to enjoy themselves and arrive home SAFE.

Cheers

Fatsprinter

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by Arthur Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:09 am
We've tried to think of other routes before, without much sucesses.

Cycleworks/VC do a ride that starts from Cycleworks then goes out something like

Murton -> Flaxton (crossing the A64, which I'm not keen on) -> Sherrif -> Bransby (I think) -> over the A19 and then back in towards Shipton.

I actually prefer our route to that.

The main problem with our current route that I see is just the last bit. The rest seems fine to me, and even that last bit doesn't seem so bad.

by Rob Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:00 pm
Start at the Pete Longbottom bench on Stockton Lane. Go out through Warthill and up Galley Gap. Turn left at the top for Howsham(?) and work back through Bossall and Sand Hutton. Some of the lanes might be a bit narrow so you'd have to try it out and see. You might get bored of it with Saturday going the same way though.

by charlie Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:14 pm
How about doing what I have said all along - from marston on the way home, go straight across to Askham Richard and sprint there. Makes sense - I'd rather sprint into a village than onto a roundabout anytime!

by Arthur Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:41 pm
I think people's objections to that is that it's a lot of twisty lanes in from Marston to Askham Richard, which can be a real problem with a very fast moving bunch of people.

by PhilBixby Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:28 pm
I agree that the current route - even with the current (and, by the look of them, experimental) chicanes through Rufforth, is the best available. The roads are wider than most of the alternatives, which is important if you've got a big bunch with their heads down.

If people want some sprints (and I could certainly use the practice) then how about just setting a couple of intermediate sprints at safe points along the way? Top of the new flyover above the A1? Somewhere on that nice straight road between Hessay and the main road before Rufforth? Get it all out of the system before hitting - all too literally - the ring road?

by Rob Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:35 pm
I'd agree with Charlie's suggestion. But you'd still need to traverse Rufforth on the way out - so why not start near Askham Bryan somewhere and go out the same way.

But, hey, I can't come anyway!

by Arthur Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:08 pm
See my post in Colin's other thread "Chain gang routing" for one suggestion for an alternative.

Rob - one problem with meeting at the bench and heading out that side of York is that VC meet there at 6 Tues/Thursday so we'd get entangled with their ride, which is a step up from ours. That's fine for people that want it (and I'll be doing some of their rides this year) but it's not ideal for keeping everyone together.

by Rob Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:39 am
Arthur, wasn't aware that VC still met there.

The other good route out is of course Usher lane - meet in front of the bike shop.`