Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Tpark Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:41 pm
I used to race on the MTB in Cleveland then moved to York. Dull flat place for MTB's generally (York that is). Anyways I needed a new bike and chickened out of a road bike for the fear of falling off or getting too many flats.
As my travels took me off rough tracks and more onto roads I've become immune to traffic etc... that I once hated.

I'm now riding an MTB, with front sus but on Schwalbe marathons. From this point I have three questions...

1.) I always get a splitting headache on my bike, maybe because I push hard but I doubt it. Could it be the set up I'm riding? Would a road bike be easier? I'm afraid of the narrow bars and big wheels feeling unstable having grown up on MTB's.

2.) Can anyone advise how MTB speed on a road transfers to a road bike? I don't want to waste money if I'll be back of the pack even if I dare officially become a roadie? I currently do about 50mls regularly at 15mph, MTB with front sus, and my legs are usually on fire!

3.) Final point, often even with front sus my arms hurt, is it just a set up thing that a road bike would solve? My longest ride on the MTB is 160mls but I could hardly move my wrists by the end of the ride, even over 100mls I get the same?

PS- If I get a triple ring road bike will I get laughed at?

Any help would be really really appreciated.

by Rob Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:14 am
Dear Tpark,

Is this a serious post? 160 miles and you get sore wrists! After that distance I would expect everything to be sore!

OK, to take it one at a time:

1. You won't fall off a road bike because its narrower! Its down to those lovely gyroscopic forces.
2. A slicked up MTB is pretty efficient on the road, but you'll go a couple of mph faster on a sports road bike. Doesn't sound like you need to though to keep up with us.
3. Can't see how set up can cause a headache - dehydration? Come on a club ride and we'll look at your position for you. Come on your MTB - you'll be fine. See our "getting started" page.
4. Triple rings are the way forward. I have one on both my summer bike and winter bike. As well as MTB and tandem.

See you out there

Rob

by Arthur Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:55 am
Headache-wise in the past I've got them for two reasons:

1) Dehydration and, more odly,
2) When I used to drink a lot of tea, I'd get caffiene withdrawl headaches when out for a long days walking!

The other issues of comfort sound like position. As Rob says, turn up and we can give you some advice! You're more than fast enough - doing 15mph on a mtb (even with slicks) is hard work.

Arthur

by Tpark Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:39 pm
Thanks enormously for the advice guys, it seems like a really freindly club.

It's a serious post though. I'm still learning what should and should not hurt I guess riding on a road.

The headaches are still a mystery though. I'm really careful about hydration and always drinks loads, I've learnt that through marathon running. I've even changed sunnies because I wondered if my old ones were distorting the light too much through the scratches.

I'm still too chicken to turn up on an MTB though, I think I'll wait until I've at least afforded a Giro 300. I'll definately invest in the triple rings as well thanks for that, I'm not afraid of the granny gears.

I keep reading your getting started pages with interest and I'm fairly sure I'll turn up at the square once I'm on a road bike.

Many many thanks again for your help. Just one final question, Does anyone do the York to Edinburgh 200 that I've heard historic mention of on the web?

Thanks again. :D

by NickScull Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:17 pm
Just a word on the triple rings.

If the bike is a double to start with it can be expensive to upgrade the levers as well as the rear mech and chainset.

There are plenty of compact doubles about that take a 34 inner. I ride these on both my summer and winter bikes. That way it is only the chainset to change.

Cheapest option is to find a bike with either a triple or compact double in the first place!

Nick

by Rob Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:39 am
You only need to change the the rear mech if going really wide ratio with the gears - a short arm rear mech will cope with 30/40/50 and 13-23 if you adjust the chain length accurately and assume you don't need to ride in 30x13.

I've never had any trouble at all using a "double" lever with a triple either.

The problem with a compact 48/34 is that it can feel like riding off a cliff when you change down and you therefore have to get used to making a double gear change - easy enough, but be aware.

Hope to see you in the Square soon Tpark!

by Arthur Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:43 am
The 'double' lever bit is a Shimano thing - Shimano double levers only have two positions so won't work with a triple. Campag front levers are basically not indexed so will work with either.