Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by BroomWagon Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:31 pm
Anyone got a pair of old centre pull brakes and a clip on front mech for a MTB in your box of bike bits you could sell me. I want something cheap because they're for an MTB I was given by a relative and use only for bad weather commuting and then sling it in the garage without ever washing it - hence the brakes and mech have had it.

by NickScull Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:43 pm
What sort of front mech do you need? I have a bottom pull triple in a box somewhere. What diameter?
Nick

by Arthur Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:24 pm
Do you really mean centre-pull? Or canti? If the later, I've got a front V-brake kicking around that you can have.

by Rob Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:47 pm
From the title I thought this was one of those dodgy posts that sneak past Arthur/Mark'Ian occassionally :lol:

by BroomWagon Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:27 pm
Someone else gave me a front mech which I think will do, cheers.

I'm unsure of MTB terminology, but I'm pretty sure I need centre pull brakes. Aren't cantilever a bit like road ones, ie attached to the bike with a bolt through the middle in which case it's not those?

by Arthur Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:08 pm
Exact opposite. Centre pull have a bolt through the middle. Canti's attach to two studs, one on each fork arm. V brakes fit the same mounting.

by BroomWagon Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:25 pm
Cheers Arthur, they are old cantis. I assume you're saying that I could replace them with V brakes if I wished? Doesn't seem any reason why not, anyone done this?

by PhilBixby Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:34 pm
Cantis and V-brakes use (I think) rather different lever ratios - I went from V-brakes to cantis on my town'n'country bike when I swapped flat bars for drops, on the basis of the reading I did at the time. But using flat bar levers may be okay.. ..might be worth a google first. You may just end up with better brakes!

by Arthur Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:07 pm
I have the lever as well. Phil is right that you need to match levers + brakes. Anyway, if you want them, they are yours. Front brake only.