Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:56 am
It's worth noting that Clifton is now in second place in the Yorkshire regional Road Race rankings, just 7 points shy of the lead. And with six riders in this Sunday's Thurcroft RR... come on you Cliftonites! Have recruited my daughter and a mate of hers as chief cheerleaders this weekend, so we're pulling out all the stops.

by Rob Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:24 pm
Wow, that is impressive stuff! You couldn't post the table could you Phil - I'm sure all would be keen to see who are behind and in front!

8)

by paulM Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:13 pm
Phil- You need to check again as looking tonight we are now leading with 111 points! And thats despite me only getting 1 point for finishing 14th on Sunday- so we should be on 112. Plus I think Andy Johnson is owed some points from that placing he got at Holmfirth in May?
VS cycles are in second place with 107 points - Paul Dixon would have been a good bet for points at Thurcroft but hasn't entered. If we can get some points we should be home and dry - Just hope Kit decides to ride?
Has anyone entered the Doncaster race on the 24th? That willbe the last counting race? I just need 4 points and am hoping for a good ride on Sunday.

by PhilBixby Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:04 am
Heavens, points keep pouring in! You're right Paul - here's the current standings as of 09:54 on Friday...

Yorkshire Club / Team Rankings
1 Clifton CC York 111
2 V S Cycles, Brighouse 107
3 Wakefield CC - Exponential 90
4 Doncaster Whls CC 79
5 Cottingham Coureurs RT 77
6 Star Bikes RT 72
7 Rutland CC 69
8 Yorkshire RC 68
9 Team Chevin Cycles 67
10 City RC (Hull) 65
11 Aire Valley Racing Team 48
11 Huddersfield RC 48
13 Birdwell Whls 40
13 Triangle RT- Bianchi 40
15 Selby CC 39
16 Hull Thursday RC 38
17 Bridlington Cycling Club 35
17 Holme Valley Whls 35
17 Halifax Imperial Wheelers CC 35
20 Batley Cycling Club 29

..with our points haul being made up from..

1 Kit Gilham 46
2 Paul Musgrave 32
3 Paul Bridgen 18
4 Steve Savage 15

...all very complex as points only count if they're from regional events in the Yorkshire region! But yes, Andy's points should be in there too.

Doncaster will be the last points scorer, as there are a couple of races after it but they're outside Yorkshire. I'm entered for it but unless I get an end-of-season burst of form don't hold your breath for points! But hey, with the two Pauls, Steve, hopefully Kit, plus Mark Mattison and me as domestiques... ...we should have it stitched up by Sunday night...

by charlie Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:37 am
Kits hung his wheels up for the year I think, so has Paul B I believe.
You must really want those points if your even considering riding Thurcroft! Good luck...

by PhilBixby Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:30 am
Start sheet for Doncaster arrived today, Clifton entries are:-

Phil Bixby
Paul Bridgen
Mark Mattison
Steve Savage

...full start sheet and ten reserves, so there's clearly a few people out there still after points!

by Paul B Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:39 pm
I've decided to call it a day for this year so won't be riding tomorrow. Good luck!

by PhilBixby Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:07 pm
Very brief race report from Thurcroft; ended up with just two of us riding - Muzzy and me - Paul B and Kit I think had ended their seasons early, Mark didn't show, and Steve was sidelined with a stinking cold. Race started with a full field under blue skies and only a light breeze - perfect weather. Broke up into groups early on and Muzzy got away in the front break; I settled into the last main group and chugged round - 25 laps is enough to make you dizzy. About 2/3 of the way through we were passed by the eventual winner hammering past alone - local lad from the host club - followed a while later a couple more groups, including Muzzy. He'd put in a lot of work in the first break but had ended up in the second group at the finish - getting 12th and - hopefully - sufficient points to clinch 2nd cat status. I came in among the last main group and was 22nd finisher - so a lot of people abandoned along the way. No idea how VS Cycles' two entrants did - more news to follow.

by Rob Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:46 am
Well done guys and lets hope they get the points allocation right!
R

by PhilBixby Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:14 am
Well Rob, the results are up but they appear to have got the points allocation WRONG having put up points for a Regional B when the event was a Regional A - Paul, chase 'em up for your points! However the good news Clifton-wise is that Paul placed higher than the best-placed VS Cycles rider, so we've stretched our points lead by another couple! Now it's down to Doncaster on Sunday!

by Paul B Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:51 am
I think they have given the event the wrong classification, as for regional A it needs to be over 80km.....

by PhilBixby Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:54 am
Hmmm... the start sheet gave the race distance as 80km so it's bang on. If it WAS Regional B there shouldn't have been any 2nd cats and Paul would've ben 5th...(!)

by PhilBixby Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:59 pm
Quick race report from Doncaster 3rds/4ths today - the final BC road points-scoring event in the region. Paul - who needed 2 points out of it to secure his 2nd cat status for next season - Mark Mattison and I did it, along with Colin S, Simon H & Paul Hickman among the Saturday/Tuesday non-Clifton regulars.

It was a typical 3/4 race where various breaks tried to get away but were all quickly pulled back by the pace of the bunch. Paul had a couple of goes, but eventually settled into the bunch for a very nervous last few laps. This included a break of 7 getting away and then promptly crashing, leaving four riders on the road and some very misshapen bits of bike.

Mark had a bold go on his own from about a mile out, but was pulled back by the final corner. I was in the front third of the bunch at the start of the quarter-mile climb to the finish and stayed there to cross the line somewhere between 15th and 20th. Paul left it VERY late but then powered off from well back in the bunch up the right-hand side of the road. There was some confusion at the finish due to a traffic jam (I kid you not) but it looks like he got 7th.. ..and 4 points!

Someone from VS Cycles came 4th but Paul's points from last weekend and today will keep us clear on top of the regional rankings :D

by Rob Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:01 pm
Wehey!

Phil, you could have put the result first so I didn't have to read through the whole thing frantically like that!

by Paul B Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:08 pm
Good work guys!!!