Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:42 am
Guys,

Anybody got any suggestions to offer me? I have been asked to assess a group of D of E kids on their cycling abilities before they set off on a cyclo-camping trip on Saturday...... My thoughts so far (after some chats on the clubrun):

Where are they going: get them to go through the route with me.
Bike fit and preparation - adjust saddle height and check they've inflated and lubricated appropriately.
Kit - check they are taking the right tools and spares for the trip - ask them what's likely to go wrong and how they'd deal with it/fix it.
Waterproofs, food, drink.
Riding on the road - they've all done Cycling Proff apparently but I can ask them some stuff about riding in a group.
Bike handling. They're all going to be on hardtail mtbs with carriers/panniers/camping gear. Thought I could get them to ride around through a few cones or up a kerb, round a tree and back - that sort of thing.
What they will do with the bike when they get back - maintenance stuff

Has anybody got experience of all this before? Any thoughts about how much to expect? All help gratefully received.