Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by billwagnon Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:35 pm
I will be in Stockton-on-Tees on business from the US starting Saturday for a fortnight. This is my first visit to the UK.

I would like to rent a bike and get in a 50 mile ride (or so) the weekend of July 22-23. I am looking for ideas on how to do this. I have been told York is a very scenic area, but am very open to other ideas.

Is there a train from Stockton to York?
Are bike rentals available in York?

Is it feasible, or advisable, to rent a bike in Stockton, ride to York, stay over in York and ride back to Stockton the following day?

any suggestions or tips are most appreciated.

by Arthur Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:52 pm
You could ride over, stop and ride back without problems, or you could just ride from Stockton. Head through Middlesborough to Stoksley and into the North York Moors. They are very pretty indeed.

by PhilBixby Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:29 pm
Yes, there are trains from Stockton (via Darlington) to York - check www.nationalrail.co.uk for times and details. Riding to York and staying over would make it a more leisurely trip, and you could come down through the North York Moors and return via the Dales or whatever. It would be worth checking and booking accommodation in York in advance tho as it can get very full in the peak holiday season.

I've no idea where in Stockton you could rent a bike; but would suggest posting messages either on www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum or www.veloriders.co.uk or check the Britich Cycling website at www.bcf.uk.com for local clubs via the "find a club" section - Stockton Wheelers would be worth an email.

Good luck with it!

by PhilBixby Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:13 pm
Have never stayed at York Backpackers but I go past it frequently and it always looks busy - it's certainly central.

Route looks fine - an alternative would be to keep on to Hovingham after Helmsley; it's a pretty village with a nice cafe at the bakery near the river and the roads from there down through Sheriff Hutton to York are a bit quieter than the Brandsby/Stillington road. Both are fine though.

Will keep fingers crossed for good weather!

by billwagnon Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:45 pm
York Backpackers is full, but it looks like it would be a great place to stay.

by stevesavage Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:22 pm
You could try the "official" Youth Hostel. Not quite as central as the Backpackers but only a few minutes by bike from the city centre along a riverside bike path.

http://www.yha.org.uk