Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:19 am
So how did it go for you all then?

by PhilBixby Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:39 am
I was off in the first group. Just like last year there were about half a dozen people who were prepared to work, and as a consequence speed yo-yoed between brisk on the downwind leg of the circuit and a crawl on the upwind leg, accompanied by the sound of much braking as people avoided coming through to the front.

I spent too much time at the front and by the end of the third lap of five the group split and I only had the legs to stay in the slower group, as a second bunch edged away and a faster group of about four did what we all should have been doing and pulled swiftly clear by doing short, hard turns in an organised way.

About a lap before the end Erik the Flying Dutchman came steaming past towing a group of half a dozen, and at the last corner Muzzy's group caught us, so I ended up midway somewhere. It had been cold, windy and over the last couple of laps the snow had really started - bloody horrible would sum it up. Roll on spring!

by like my bike Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:37 am
It was my first RR, snow, sleet and a headwind on the back leg all added to the challenge. Phil and I headed the 4th's group 'I had told myself I would do this' at the half way point my back wheel slipped across, so I had to stop and fix it losing 3 mins :( .

Back on the bike I spent the rest of the lap between the 4ths & 3rds wasting energy, mid point on lap two I was caught by Pauls group. The front boys were fast so I joined the middle of the group and with highsight got a bit carried away (well it was exciting!) :P as the groups speed built up for the Prime I maintain my position, immedialtey after the climb two guys attached going clear. I was already close to the red but could nt help myself and tried to hold onto the chasing group putting me well into the red but latched onto the back I held it for the rest of the lap sitting in.

At the start of the next lap the remainder of the group split again on a climb and the riders around me sat up to wait for the next group what a sensible idea! You guessed it, I decided to try and chase down the faster group ending up in no man's land :x (can you swear on here?) anyway I did several times. I seemed to repeat the same mistake with the 2nd & 1st cat groups.

Anyway I had a bloody hard ride :) (did you say yes to swearing) my career as a fourth cat maybe longer than a thought. We'll see. See you at the Hambelton RR. PS there still accepting entries.

A J
by fatsprinter Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:27 pm
How ridiculous.

i thought it was cold last year, but this was just plain cold. I've decided hell is not firery and hot, it is cold, so cold it burns. :cry:

I've decided never to race if temp is less than 6 degrees.

Quote of the day is: Erik: "I was on the front of my group and no-one was working, so I rode away". And that was it, he just rode away from the group. When I spoke to him afterwards, he was not even out of breath. I was in full Assos top to toe and he was in shorts with leg warmers. Hard man. But then he does come from the Netherlands and lives near the coast!! Ja jonge, ongeloofelijk!!

Poor old charlie couldn't ride his bike straight in the cold. It must have affected his judgement as he decided to ride into someones rear wheel. Still, he kept it upright!

When will the warm weather begin.

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by Rob Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:14 am
Mange toute Rodney!
by stevesavage Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:12 am
Here are the results:

NEIL WHITE MEMORIAL PURSUIT
1, Dieter Droger (Wakefield RC) 72km in 2-10-00;
2, M. Johnson (Yorkshire RC) at 1-30;
3, L. Meadows (Cleveland Whs) at 1-54
4, S. Webster (Kinesis Uk) at 1-58;
5, E.Van Lakerveld (LWV Swift) at 2-04;
6, T. Tiffen (Cestria CC) st;
7, W. Boyes (Ferryhill Whs) st;
8, A. Robertson (VC Azzurri) at 2-17;
9, J. Ibbotson (Doncaster Whs) at 2-23;
10, R. Meadows (Cleveland Whs) at 2-40;

Juniors: Sam Webster
Women Jessica Roberts (Wensleydale Whs)

Droger went off in the 3rd group

Being ill for the 2 weeks before meant it was a race I'd rather forget!