Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:06 pm
Good clubrun today. Just 6 of us in the Square. Rode via Tollerton, Alne, Easingwold, Coxwold, Oldstead, Ampleforth to Helmesley for a very early cafe. Back through Castle Howard. Nice fresh conditions for a ride. Yours truly bagged in behind a tractor for 10 km into the wind on his way home at 45 kph 8)

by PhilBixby Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:43 pm
Well, I did the Barton Wheelers Midsummer vets RR on Saturday. Regrettably my midsummer run of cr*p form seems to be continuing (I trailled in well back from the bunch). Not sure if it's after-effects of me crash a few weeks back and a couple of weeks taking it easier while various strains and bruises healed, or what. Went out around Leppington etc today and HR resolutely refused to go over 90% of max, despite trying to give it billy-o up the various hills. Any ideas?

by Rob Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:13 pm
Phil, I'm told there's a doctor in Spain.........

by MarkA Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:32 pm
Can't help Phil other than to confirm that the after affects of a spill may take a while to wear off.

Mac, Holly and i were marshalling at the Pete Longbottom Memorial race. We ended up at Duncombe park to watch the finish and met Peter and Eilleen H + Peter Watson. Think i saw John arriving just before the finish too. All in all quite a jolly Clifton get together and interesting talking to Peter about his KoM in the Milk Race and years racing in France etc.

An idea for next year might be to make the pre-race ride into a bit of a "family" / social occasion? I think it is all in aid of Cancer Research and there were a few things going on at the park to entertain youngsters.

by charlie Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:01 pm
I scored 7th in the expert class at the National Points Series XC at Drumlanrig castle, Scotland on saturday (A result that was long over due!). No mechanicals this time. Was riding in the top five up until lap three where I made a couple of slight errors. Very technical circuit but suited me well. Was able to make up good time on the technical single track. climbs were good too. hopefully I can claw my way back into the series with two rounds left (Plymouth in August and Checkendon, Reading in September).

by PhilBixby Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:52 pm
"Phil, I'm told there's a doctor in Spain........."

With my luck as it is at the moment i'd end up getting Tugboat's blood by mistake and would sprout even more bodily hair than I already have!

by paulM Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:36 pm
Rode Tybe Velo TLI Drummond Trophy road race on Sunday. Took 9th in senior event and - wait for it - won my age category (35-40) - YES its come to that!
Organiser Willie Thomson wanted me to ride the vets event because he said I might win something but I lied and said I was a second cat. I'm actually a mercenary and thought the big money would be in the senior event. Good course, not one I've used before, and hard race. BC should take a lesson as most of theirs I've ridden this year have been disappointing for a number of reasons. It paid my petrol anyway.
Winner was Steve Kenny who had been away with Micky Mallen as soon as the flag dropped and won by over a minute. Impressive.