Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Dr Dave Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:42 pm
Having been advised that better wheels is the best upgrade, and having had my bike almost a year now I've bitten the bullet and bought a new pair of wheels (clinchers). Now I need to sort out some rim tape and a cassette so I can get them on the bike.

Seems to me there's little point 'spoiling the ship for ha'pennyworth of tar' so what brand/type of rim tape do our experts recommend and should I bother with new inner tubes?

by Arthur Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:39 pm
Didn't we have the rim tape wars a few posts back?

Michelin plastic. ** lights blue touch paper and retires **

And yes, new tubes. Why not? That way you can keep the old wheels on the road as a backup pair.

And, and: Schwable Ultremo Evolution tyres. Or Pro Race 3

by paulM Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:40 pm
I'm with Arthur. Michelin plastic for the simple reason that you can reuse them and Pro Race tyres always work for me.

by PhilBixby Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:25 pm
Michelin plastic. And yes, go on, treat yourself to new tubes. Never really got on with Pro Race 2's - always seemed to lack grip in the wet although lovely in the dry, and I switched to Conti GP4000 prior to the 3's coming in.

Anyway Dave, first TT on a Thursday, new wheels on a Friday - is this coincidence?!? Whatcha gone for?

by Dr Dave Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:51 pm
I've not been tempted by tall aero rims - got the new Dura-Ace carbon/alloy clinchers. Seems they don't need rim tape either according to the blurb they've come with. They do however need a cassette so I've been debating with myself whether to change ratios but in the end wimped out and ordered another girly 12/27. Maybe next year (if I'm really mean between now and then) I'll be able to splash out on the new DA groupset, revert to a proper double again and run a 28t cassette.

by AndrewM Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:53 am
I've got some of the Schwalbe Ultremo's, an absolute delight to get on and off after the previous wrestling competition I had with Continental 4 Seasons.