Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Broom Wagon Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:24 pm
I seem to be getting a bit of cramp these days, never used to. I cycle with water and a carb drink. Do you think if I change the water to a drink with electrolytes, it will sort it?

by PhilBixby Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:15 pm
Worth a go. There have been lots of threads on the CyclingPlus forum on the web about this over the years, which seemed to conclude that there's no simple answer to why we get it and no simple cure, but that intensity of exercise / fitness / quantity of fluid / type of fluid / general diet all seem to have a bearing. I've switched from PSP22 to GO for summer use (and guzzle a litre of tonic water before races, drug-crazed fool that I am) and don't often get cramps these days on rides. Still get the b****rs the following evening sometimes though, especially in me thighs. Owwww!

by stevesavage Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:38 am
I'm a fellow sufferer. Article attached - a bit long but interesting:

Cramp is an often painful, involuntary and sustained contraction of a muscle. When cramping occurs during a ride it can not only feel incredibly uncomfortable, but sometimes, if it strikes a large muscle group like the hamstrings or quads, it can render the affected limb entirely useless, stopping you in your tracks.

Why does cramp happen?

The cramping of a muscle, or group of muscles is your body’s way of saying "I can’t carry on" and there are a number of possible reasons for this:

Over-Exertion. If you drive your muscles harder than they are accustomed to, it is common for them to cramp as a mechanism of self-protection. This is a very common occurrence for competitive Mountain Bikers during the first few races of the season, but as the muscles get used to the high intensity of racing, the cramping becomes less frequent, or disappears. This ‘early season cramping’ really is a necessary part of the training process though and it is an indication that you’re creating a good training stimulus (this means that you’ll be going faster next time you ride). Have a look at the following link for more information generating a positive training stimulus or overload:

Cold Wet Weather. Coupled with the over exertion element, poor environmental conditions exacerbate the problem. Cramping is very common in swimmers who exercise heavily in cold water and although the rationale is the same, you won't drown if you suffer cramp on a bike, so count yourself lucky. Try to keep your muscles warm and dry by wearing the appropriate clothing for the weather conditions.

Heat and Dehydration. Like your car’s engine, muscles do not like running dry. Drink plenty of fluids. This high consumption of fluids shouldn’t only be limited to when you are on the bike though. Make a conscious effort to drink more fluid in general, especially when it’s hot. If you begin a ride in a dehydrated state, you are likely to remain that way for the entire duration, regardless of how much you drink while you are exercising. You could also try weakening your carb drink mix, or trying an isotonic drink, which is aimed more towards hydration than energy.

Low Salt Levels. When it’s hot and you are riding hard, excessive perspiration not only encourages dehydration, but also causes salt loss. Generally, most of us consume enough salt in our diet for this not to be a problem, but if you tend not to eat salty foods and you’re training heavily, this could lead to cramping. Many sports drinks contain Electrolytes (electrically charged elements/compounds), one of which is sodium (salt). Check that your energy drink contains these electrolytes and if it doesn’t, use your current drink to supplement your general carbohydrate intake and buy an electrolyte formulation to take an hour or so before training. If the weather is particularly hot, take a bottle with you too.

Are there any nutrients or vitamins that may help with cramp?

Calcium and Magnesium. The presence of both Calcium and Magnesium are necessary if smooth, trouble-free muscular contractions are to occur, and research has demonstrated that supplementation of these minerals can cure, or reduce the frequency of muscular cramps. Both of these minerals are in fact electrolytes and are therefore contained within the ingredient list of electrolyte containing sports drinks. Calcium and Magnesium supplements are available separately too, so you could also try this approach.

Quinine. Originally from the bark of the cinchona tree and now synthetically produced, this drug is available in tablet form, but you may need a prescription from your GP to get it. A much more readily available source of the chemical is in Tonic Water. Quinine is the chemical that gives Tonic Water it’s bitter taste and is used by the medical establishment to treat regular cramp sufferers. Try drinking a half-pint glass of Tonic Water before you ride or race and see if it helps. If you think you may need a bit more, try a pint, it won’t kill you! The word is on the street that it does work, very well.

St Johns Wort. This herb, extracted from the St Johns Wort plant, has been used for centuries for the treatment of depression. Although not it’s main function, this herb can allegedly be used to relieve muscular cramps and spasms. It’s worth a try, but I won’t stake my reputation on it.

If I get cramp, how do I treat it?

As cramp is an involuntary contraction, in the cramped state, the muscle is shortened. The only way to remove the cramp is quite simply, to ease the muscle back to its original length, then to gradually and progressively stretch it out to lengthen it further. Don’t be in too much of a hurry to stretch though, or you risk tearing it. Once stretched, hold this position for at least thirty seconds, or the cramping muscle will spring back to its original spasmodic state. Once the cramp has gone you can try to carry on riding, but this may prove fruitless. When you’ve returned to base, continue to stretch the cramp stricken muscle and give it a good massage when you’re in the bath. This will reduce the soreness likely over the next few days.

by charlie Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Might not be a problem caused on the bike. Look at how much you drink during the day. This could be the cause. Start the day with a pint of squash and drink plenty through the day. Avoid tea and coffee.
When on the bike nip at bottles continuously. Plan to refill during rides on long or hot (or long and hot) rides.