Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Helen Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:53 am
Hi there an update for June

08/06 Osmotherly
100 miles plus bit extra,1hard long climb,2fords and lots of lumpy bits
Fadmoor,church houses,up blackeyridge,westerdale,osmotherly,Helmsley.

15/06 need a volunteer to lead the ride.

Saturday 21/06 Ron Kit ride from York Rally.
This is 1 of the clifton challenge series rides and I will do the 150k as a club run.
Sunday 22/06 Mother Shipton - 103km Audax
Not organising a group for this but highlighting it as a local audax ride.It
starts at 10am from Easingwold.

29/06 Dales ride - I haven't decided on route yet.Let me know if you have any preferences.

July
6/07 and13/07 need volunteers to lead these rides.

I will still put a weekly note on the discussion bord just to confirm details.If anyone is willing to lead rides on the dates I can't do would you let me know asp saves me hassling for volunteers.

Helen

by dave c Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:00 am
Hi Helen

I think the Mother Shipton Audax is on 29th June.

Dave

by willhub Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:04 am
Sunday this week looks challenging wonder how many people will be coming along this week?

by Helen Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:22 pm
Dave

Your right - good job haven't had the calander updated.
Would you be able to lead a ride on any of the weeks I have listed?

Will

Not sure as quite afew people are doing the White Rose ride this week.
Choose this route as there are options if people want an easier or shorter ride.Riders can avoid Blackey by going round to Hutton-Le-Hole,turn of for home on the ridge or miss out the Osmotherly loop by heading straight for Helmsey.

Helen

by dave c Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:16 pm
Hi Helen

I can do 15/06

Cheers

Dave

by Helen Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:08 am
Dave

Sorry to mess you about.Changes at my end mean I can make the 15/06 but not the 29/06.Would you be able to lead the club run on that day?
If you were planning to do the audax I can list it as that week's club run

Helen

by dave c Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:55 am
Helen

Yes I could do 29th, I can do either, normal club run or do the Audax. If we do Audax it starts in Easingwold at 10.00. We could set off from the square at 8.45 to be at Easingwold for 9.30 ish. Start is at 10.00 103 km Audax £2 entry in advance or I think you can enter on the day £3.
Entry Form http://www.aukweb.net/cal/index.htm
or http://www.amkirby.co.uk/NYDA/Events/R080629A.htm

Dave

by willhub Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:57 am
Will I be able to do that Audax?

by dave c Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:17 am
Will asked

Yes It costs £2 plus you need insurance for the event. I have insurance through Audax and CTC membershp.

Anyway you can pay an extra £2 for temporary cover when you enter.

Joining CTC (Cyclists Touring Club) gives you 3rd party insurance cover for all your riding aswell as making it cheaper to enter events. http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4088

Dave

by willhub Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:41 am
I notice on the pages it says "Speeds: 12-25 kph", does this mean you cant go below 12 and above 25?

by Dave B Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:47 am
dave c wrote:Will asked

Yes It costs £2 plus you need insurance for the event. I have insurance through Audax and CTC membershp.

Anyway you can pay an extra £2 for temporary cover when you enter.

Joining CTC (Cyclists Touring Club) gives you 3rd party insurance cover for all your riding aswell as making it cheaper to enter events. http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4088

Dave

Are there still any restrictions on bikes, though? Certain Audax events used to exclude full-blown race bikes due to the inevitable lack of mudguards in the days before SKS Raceblades - does the "guards or no guards" [1] issue still apply?

Dave B

[1] Not to be confused with the popular early-evening Noel Edmonds vehicle on Channel 4 :wink:

by dave c Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:39 pm
Will

Audax events have controls at certain points. For the 103 km event on 29th there are controls at approx. a third and two thirds distance plus the start and finish and these in theory open and close within the specified min and max average speeds. I think normally there is some leaway on this so I wouldn't worry about it.

Dave B

All the ones I have done there has been no restriction on bikes used and lots of people use there normal race bikes with no guards. I think there are certain long distance events 600 km and over or in winter where guards have to be used.

Dave

by willhub Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:07 pm
Oh right.

On the join page on that CTC there is loads of choices, am I ok to select Unwaged since I dont have a job?

by willhub Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:58 pm
I checked the weather on a site called met check or something, dont know if it can be accurate this far ahead but for the ron kit ride it looks like its going to be raining :( and the outlook for june looks like.. cold :(

by dave c Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:17 pm
On the join page on that CTC there is loads of choices, am I ok to select Unwaged since I dont have a job?

Are you not in the catergory 'Under 18 and F/T students under 26' which is cheaper? if not, yes unwaged.