Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:23 pm
OK then, you've all seen my nominations in the Cliftonite for Oscars, Room 101 and what should be next when it comes to knew bicycle innovations of the last couple of decades.

So what are yours?

by Arthur Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:19 am
Recumbents :)

by like my bike Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:16 pm
Frames made from Titanium (ROAD), a dream to ride, clean and look at :wink:

And carbon fibre the best MTB frame material just a dream, dont wake me up!! Giant XTC :lol: it even floats on single track!

A J

by like my bike Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:18 pm
Room 101 'camel back' why would you carry a animal on your shoulders when you can drink from a bottle?

A J

by Arthur Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:44 am
CamelBacks - because they don't get covered in cow shit when MTB'ing!

by Arthur Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:20 pm
Serious suggestion - soft shell tops. Keep the weather out when you're riding hard without making you melt from sweat. Much better than the old style training top.

by Rob Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:53 am
"Serious suggestion - soft shell tops. Keep the weather out when you're riding hard without making you melt from sweat. Much better than the old style training top."

- do you mean like a shell-suit Arthur? Nice! 8)

by fatsprinter Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:14 pm
I can just imagine Arthure in a shell suit. Nice. Suits you.

Well, I've got a five letter word for it: Assos.

Pricy, but best there is.

Anyway, Recumbents are ace. I've ridden a low one and they are FAST.

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by Rob Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:10 pm
Suggestions from the clubrun for future innovations (they're too shy to go on here!):

Stainless-steel rustless chains
Electric wireless gears
Electric wireless brakes (I'll let someone else test those!)
Cruise control, controlled by the team manager in the following car....

Well, it seemed quite funny at the time!

by MikeG Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm
The new Dura Ace stuff for 07/08 currently being tested by a few pro's has electric wireless shifting - the future arrives sooner than you think! (or is that me getting old?)

Thankfully the brakes appear to be reasuringly old style!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... news/03-09 , also in last weeks cycling weekly.

by Rob Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:49 pm
I think we are getting old!
Chris Boarman used to be a fan of that Mavic electric system, but I don't think it was wireless, and it was notoriously unreliable in the wet.... Good on TT bike as wires tucked away out of the wind and gear shift by simply pressing a simple button.

by BroomWagon Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:23 pm
Couldn't agree more Rob, about mini pumps for room 101. I've got a pricy blackburn one because I couldn't get a traditional long handled pump to fit the curved angles in my frame and you can't get enough pressure, it's easy to bend values and it's got a sharp bit on the folding handle specially designed to trap the skin of your thumb whilst pumping, very painfull. In fact it hurts typing this because of my latest mini-pump injury. Worse than that, my three year old wanted to help daddy mend a puncture and it did the same to him. Blasted thing's only suitable for the bin - there glad I got that off my chest.

by Dave B Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:28 am
Stainless steel chains an innovation? They've been around a few years, haven't they (Wippermann Connex)? Not cheap, mind you :-(

Dave