Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Willy H Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:19 pm
Earlier in April I responded to a request for a really relaxed evening social ride by offering to arrange.
Well, there now seem to be a half-dozen people ready to try this, so here goes with the plan in outline:
Frequency: fortnightly
Distance: 20 - 30 kms max
Start time (sharp) 18.30
Departing: Exhibition Square (Art Gallery)
Date of first ride: Tuesday May 6th
Return time: 21.00

To bring:
-Functioning bike
-Waterproofs
-Some snacks/drink
-Lights
-Spare inner tube (I'll bring the more serious repair stuff)

It would help if people interested would let me (Willy) know via TXT 0797 4867301

by Helen Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:28 pm
Willy

I would be interested in coming along.
When you say allcomers would that include bringing along children ?

Helen

by Willy H Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:47 pm
I'd have thought children over 10-ish would be ok, but full responsibility will need to remain with the accompanyng parent.
Let's see how this group pans out.

by Dr Dave Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:26 pm
I might be able to supply a parent and child - especially in summer after school breaks up.

My only other thought would be that the middle of town will still be fairly busy at 6:30 and that half the proposed ride distance will be taken up by travelling in and out of town! Might an edge-of-town meeting point be better?

by Helen Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:42 pm
Willy - I was thinking of bringing the eldest(14) but I will leave it till school holidays .
I agree with your point Dave but thats proberly easier to arrange when you know whose coming. We could copy the winter training group practise and start at alternating points depending on which way we are heading.

Helen

by Arthur Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:12 pm
For heading south, meeting at the Millenium bridge is . Everyone knows where it is and the bike path is there for getting out.

by Willy H Thu May 01, 2008 9:53 am
I suggest the square for the initial ride, not knowing where people will ride in from. Once the places of domicile become cleares an alternative start point will be looked at.
As multi-purpose gathering the square has tradition, shelter from sudden downpours and offers some good traffic-free routes out:

North:
Rawclifffe Ings river path, nearly as far as Skelton, the beyond to Beningborough
South:
Skeldergate and Terry Avenue to Selby cycle path
Parliament St to the New Walk, Millenium Bridge, Walmgate Stray, Uni paths then out to Dunnington etc on minor roads.

by MarkA Sun May 04, 2008 8:15 pm
I have signed Millie (8) up as stoker subject to it not raining
We will only be good for an hour of so as its a school night
See you in the square
MA