Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

ban slicks for scotton

Poll ended at Thu May 01, 2008 5:17 pm

yes 0
N/A
no 5
100%
Total votes : 5
by pcanh Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:17 pm
deleted
Last edited by pcanh on Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by PhilBixby Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:39 pm
I didn't do the Scotton but I'd heard enough stories of previous years to know that there were many, many options in terms of equipment and that weather would probably have a big impact. Would ordinary road tyres have been okay if it had been dry? Probably. From reports it was very cold out there this year and some people nearly keeled over while fixing punctures. Should the organisers insist riders wrap up warm? It could have been 15c, given our weird weather these days.

It was clearly a pretty grim day for some, but I don't think the organiser should have been more prescriptive. One of the reasons I've never done Scotton is I've only got a road bike, so I know from the event info that I've not got the right kit - maybe I'm just naturally pessimistic but I don't need Dave banning my tyres to make it clear I shouldn't do it!

I hope everyone's dried out and got the feeling back in their extremities; perhaps after a couple of years of benign weather for the Reliability, Clifton was just due a stinker of a day for something.

by Tullio Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Definitely not.

It was my first attempt at it this year so I'm only partially qualified to comment I know. However, I thought the character and 'light touch' in organising were spot on. If you want a race, sportive, MTB race, Audax etc there are plenty elsewhere to choose from but this event is unique and part of the challenge is the equipment, weather, route finding and all round tough nature of it. I loved it!

Incidently, we hooked up with Howard from Wetherby Wheelers fairly early on. It was his first year and he didn't know what to expect. He was on his normal club run bike, slicks and all. I thought he did fantastic to not only complete it but also keep up with 3 of us on MTBs on the tracks all the way round in those conditions. He didn't even puncture until Aldwarke which was as far as we got without one so it's the luck of the draw.

If your going to ban anything...try hawthorn.

by Rob Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:28 am
Horror as cyclists get muddy in off-road event :roll: :wink:
Last edited by Rob on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

by barberj Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:33 am
I did it on conti gatorskin mtb slicks, with no problem apart from slipping a bit. Problem was there had been some hedge cutting so some of the offroad bits were covered in thorn laden twigs. :(

I did like the unpredictibility of the event and having to think about what you were going to use though!

by Helen Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:58 am
Not just muddy it's April and we got wet the 2007 pictures showed sunshine.

Alice's 1 day event was cancelled because the ground was to slippy for the horses; prehaps we should have a similiar approach for the bikes, it has taken longer to get my mtb clean shiny and happy again than it took me to ride the event and the poor washing machine is still spitting out sand.
I speak as someone whose aim for the day was to get less messy than her son did paintballing the day before and failed.

I don't need the organisers to change the advise they send out.I have done it twice and have always opted for my mtb .Its obvious the best bike to use, if you have one is a cross bike, if you don't then its a compromise.There are a lot of road miles in the route when we mtb types get to watch the roadies fly by.

Tyre wise we used proper of road mountain bike tyres which Nick filled with gloop to make them puncture proof.We had already had enough of hawthorns earlier this year when out on a bitter cold day we had so many punctures Nick had used our last patch and we still had tyres going down.They were great we may have gone of route 3 times but no punctures.

Helen

by Debs Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:29 pm
Good Lordy - should we all be told to wear waterproof cycling boots and remember to carry plenty of food and a spare tube as well??? I've ridden this event twice now - okay I only do the 50 - but as with any event (or ride for that matter) you take into account the potential conditions before setting off!! Last year I wore shorts and a t-shirt; this year winter tights and an alledgedly waterproof jacket. It's been raining since January do we really need to be told what tyres to use. Even as a humble mtb rider - this year I had on good mud tyres - last year some hi-rollers.
Isn't part of the fun of any off-road riding actually getting muddy?????!!!!! Bikes aren't for washing, they're for riding!!! :twisted:

by Arthur Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:52 pm
On the page on this site about the Scotton 100 it says this:

"Which bike? – Well that’s the point, it’s a compromise, the lighter the wheels and tyres the more care needed on the rough but you have the advantage on the road."