Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by tnwoolley Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:08 am
I dont want to get sued for slander so be careful what you post but has anyone else had issues with p*** poor service from York Cycleworks? I apologize if any readers know, or are associated with them, but after having my girlfriends bike serviced there last week we headed out to dalby for a run of the red route with Mikael only for her rear brake to fail catastrophically on a descent.
After launching over a berm and fortunately only bashing her leg up a bit due to a soft, mossy landing, we had a pretty thorough trail side inspection and couldnt find what was wrong with it. The cables were pulling (mechanical discs) and pads (not too worn) were connecting with the rotor but there was zero friction.
Anyway, I took the bike back to Cycleworks this morning and the chap (early forties, quite short, black rimmed glasses) was astonishingly unconcerned. Even after I demonstrated how exerting all my strength to pull on the brake lever you could still wheel the bike backwards and forwards he just said that mech discs werent great and I should take it shop of purchase (ie, I dont know whats wrong and/or I dont care so take your custom elsewhere) and seemed to reckon that the front brake should be sufficient (!?). Try to imagine how scared one might feel doing a typical descent of dalby minus a functioning rear brake...
My point is that after paying for a service (even a basic one) a bike should at least have brakes that are fit for purpose and Im not seeking to blame YCW but the guys attitude towards me and the problem was very poor (in my opinion). As a result I doubt I'll ever be spending any more time or money in there.
Rant over.
Am I out of line or does anyone else have similar tales to tell?

by PhilBixby Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:40 pm
Hmmm.... 37 viewings and no response, we ARE treading warily round this one! Okay..

..I know *nothing* about disc brakes so I've no idea about the mechanical specifics, but part of what you were saying was about attitude. From conversations out on rides I think many people have stories of poor attitude from staff at pretty much all of the local shops at some time. In some cases the shop owners/managers have been made aware and have made / are making efforts to address the attitudes you describe. Some staff are much better (it seems) at dealing with bikes than they are at dealing with people. As I say, I don't know about the specifics but from what you describe you should be able to expect better than "they all do that", especially if the bike had just been serviced.

I do my own bike building /servicing but I've had work done to wheels at YCW. On one occasion a spoke came completely loose on a newly-built wheel because the nipple hadn't been tightened; on another, newly-replaced bearings were loose until I suggested a method of pre-tensioning them. In both cases the staff (especially Andy Frazer) were *very* apologetic and helpful and clearly took on board what had gone wrong. Everyone's human and makes the occasional mistake. Local bike shops will only survive in the face of big discount stores and the internet if they give good service and respond when things go wrong. Some of them (or at least some people in some of them) *are* aware of this.

by dave c Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:52 pm
In Nov 2006 I was completely new to road biking and a friend recommended YCW. I bought from them, through their advice a Trek Pilot 1.0 which has been a fantastic bike and the perfect bike to start road biking with. I have always had good service and advice.

Just my experience.

by Rob Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:13 pm
Hi TNW,

I'd reserve your indignation 'till you know what went wrong. The bottom line is that it *may* not be a fault of the servicing and *may* just be mechanical failure of some sort (but goodness knows what). Concern (or the impression of it) is not going to sort it out. I'd measure YCW on how they get you back on the tracks....

It is true though, isn't it, that it is more distressing watching somebody else fall off than take a face-plant yourself? I do understand why you're exercised by this!!

Hope you're both back out there soon.

R

by Arthur Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:50 am
I've never had anything but good service from them. I suggest going back and talking to them again, maybe trying to speak to someone else.

by tnwoolley Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:12 am
well I got the bike back and although they weren't able to fix it the chap I spoke to this time around was thoroughly nice. maybe I just caught one of their staff on an off day...? Thanks for everyones input btw.