Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by craigdabrown Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:33 pm
Three riders (JonG, IanH and myself) in the Square for the Inters Ride to Pateley Bridge.

The remnants of the overnight storm were still in evidence, a steady westerly with some strong gusts and a light rain shower which started just as we set off, but it had brightened up by the time we collected IanW at Aldwark Bridge.

Four definitely felt better than three and although IanW was adamant he’d turn back before Pateley we knew we’d talk him round. Out via Staveley and Markington, the headwind made some of the climbs tougher than normal and it was quite difficult to stay upright when we stopped to regroup at an exposed section above Brimham Rocks.

The cafe was much quieter than normal, with plenty space available inside and the service a bit less stressed than can sometimes be the case but they did have to be prompted when one of the coffees failed to arrive. Nice food and cakes though.

We were hoping for a helpful tailwind all the way home but it didn’t truly materialise. IanW stuck with us until Knaresborough, heading to Arkendale as we continued to Little Ribston. The rain was much heavier after that and so it was heads down and get back as quickly as possible. In the end, another soaking but worth it to avoid the Christmas shopping crowds and a satisfying 80 miles for IanH and myself, JonG registering yet another 100+ mile ride.

Sad footnote to above, Dr. Joe was knocked off his bike by a taxi on his way to the Square on Saturday, suffering a few cracked ribs and some bruising. Serious enough, it could have been a lot worse. Joe will have to suppress his normal cheeriness and avoid laughing too much until his ribs heal, I'll give you a few tips on that Joe. Get well soon.
by Jon G Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:53 pm
Arrived in square first which isnt unusual, looked at phone to see a couple of messages from some regular riders apologising for their absence. looked like attendance was gonna be low. thankfully i had Ian H, Ian W and craig for company. like craig mentioned some tough riding in the wind but wasnt too bad until the high ground when it was a real struggle to stay on bike. It was a good ride until the proper rain started near knaresborough on the return. I left Ian and craig at just before tockwith to go back through tadcaster and cawood with hopefully more of tailwind which didnt really happen, the rain just didnt stop until i arrived home :roll: . satisfying to get out though for another 100 mile ride. hopefully see you next saturday :D
by Rob Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:39 pm
Paul and I were reminiscing on the Sunday ride that it was exactly 25 years since my first Clifton clubrun. A bright frosty morning had deteriorated by the time we got to Osmotherley, until we left the café in horizontal wet snow and we rode home in a total white out. I've not experienced worse conditions in all the rides since. On Sunday we returned to the same roads and things couldn't have been more different. Not a cloud in the sky, empty roads, gentle NW breeze. A good-to-be-alive sort of day.
The café in Osmotherley has closed so we climbed over to the Rusty Bicycle Café in Swainby (recommended), then looped around Hutton Rudby to avoid the A19 before heading south again. We made full use of the day, bagging 170km, 2000m climb and back home around 5pm. Thanks to Neil, Ed, Paul, Andy and Steen for excellent company.