Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by James Milner Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:39 pm
As mentioned previously, the postponed 'Ronde van Hebden Bridge' challenge ride takes place this Saturday.

This is a steady 70 mile jaunt taking in some of the more interesting lanes of Halifax in the morning followed by a pleasant ride over the moors in to Lancashire before returning to God's own county in order to take a tour of some of the grittier industrial landscapes of Keighley, viewed from the top of some cobbled climbs. Heading back in to Bronte country thereafter to see who can be the fastest past the old Vicarage whilst trying not to knock over the tourists. Back through Oxenhope for a bit more climbing followed by a wonderful 5 mile descent back to Hebden.

The plan is to meet in Hebden in time for a 9:30am start. Meeting place is Bridge Gate, Hebden Bridge, HX7 8EX. There will be a few cars going so if you're short of transport and need a lift, or if you wish to offer to share your own transport, get in touch with me on here or via other media and we'll do our best to sort something out.

In my experience the best place to park in Hebden is on the right hand side of the A646 as you come in to the town from Mytholmroyd. It's free, unlimited and there's usually plenty of space. Car parks are inexpensive compared to York but you usually need to come back half way through the day to feed the meter.

If you've never taken on the cobbles this is a great opportunity to give them a go. Most of West Yorkshire's well known cobbled climbs are included. They are tough climbs, but no tougher than some of the harder climbs on the North York Moors.

70 miles with around 8500ft of climbing.

Should be a fun day out!
by craigdabrown Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 pm
Thanks for posting about this ride again James.

Although, "If you've never taken on the cobbles this is a great opportunity to give them a go." - I wonder how many Directeur Sportifs said the very same to their TdF riders on Sunday.