Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Tony Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:16 pm
While not as strong as last Saturday, we have another blustery day on deck. The forecast is calling for 7C, chance of a shower and ~20mph SW winds.

I'd prefer to head up North, even had a suggestion for Helmsley, but fear a mutiny if I suggest a route with strong headwinds for the home stretch. Taking the safe route, I've mapped out a suggestion (others are welcome) for an anti-clockwise loop taking in Ripley, Timble and stopping in Otley, and returning via Wetherby, Wighill and Askham Bryan.

While we'll have to deal with some wind to Otley, the shorter ride home should be quick :D
I also anticipate that the reduced distance should have us back in York by 16:00 (sunset is 15:50).

Fenders/mudguards and lights recommended :)

122 Km / 76 miles square to square. View and download the route at RidewithGPS or click the map.

by James Milner Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:01 am
Great minds think alike! (As they say). That's almost exactly the same route as I had planned. The one down side is that we're more likely to encounter rain in the west but, as you say, I think the tailwind home will be welcome. Count me in. :)
by Jon G Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:10 pm
Do i go or not? :?

Guys convince me to turn up tomorrow. Don't feel too bad after recent cold :) but might after go easy on me :)
by John B Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:50 pm
Jon G wrote:Do i go or not? :?

Guys convince me to turn up tomorrow. Don't feel too bad after recent cold :) but might after go easy on me :)

Jon
You know i would be there if i could.
Once your on the road you feel glad your out.

John B
by Tony Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:22 pm
Jon G wrote:Do i go or not? :?

What's up Jon, have you been a naughty boy and the other half won't let you play out?

It might be cool and damp, but you're used to it over here - the spirit of Dunkirk and all that :P

Besides, the alternative is rather bleak for those who've not yet discovered Zwift - Six reasons why turbo training is to be avoided at all costs

I promise Rich and James will go easy on you. In fact, we'll even let you control the pace by sitting at the front all day :lol:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, James. We can certainly tweak the route if you have something better. I'll be relying on Garmin to get us from Ripley to Otley, so a little local knowledge goes a long way.

Good to see you posting John. I also hope that you got some good news this week, alluding to a speedy recovery. We'll miss you, for sure.
by Jon G Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:40 pm
I know your right John, once your out you feel better. Also hope you are recovering well :)

I will decide in morning Tony. I don't really want a weekend without cycling. Last week was only the second time this year ive not been on bike, outside that is. Unless your using a turbo for training purposes its difficult to motivate yourself.

Hopefully see you morning :D

Jon
by James Milner Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:27 pm
I'm quite happy to go easy on you Jon! I just need to keep my eye on Rich and make sure he doesn't sneak off up the road when I'm not looking!

I think my route from Ripley to Otley was slightly different to yours Tony, but my route back from Otley was a bit longer, making the ride around the same distance in total. It's loaded on to my Garmin so we can always decide on the day depending on how everyone feels and what the weather's doing.
by IanH Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:22 pm
This time of year if it's wet go, as the ice and snow later cuts down your options.

Ian H.

Are we there yet